Wiki Register Search FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Log in    
Reply to topic mfs_ftp installation
mfs_ftp installation
TivoZA
Site Admin

mfs_ftp can be used to upload & download TiVo recordings using a standard FTP client or by making use of nanVue. Below are the instructions on how to install Riley's mfs_ftp as well as Jamie's binaries which help speed up the transfers.

Firstly download Riley's mfs_ftp and then Jamie's mfs-utils. Once downloaded, unzip 'mfs_ftp.tar.zip', ftp 'mfs_ftp.tar' to your TiVo's '/hack' directory and ftp 'mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar.bz2' to your TiVo's '/tmp' directory.

You now need to start a telnet session to your TiVo. From the telnet prompt, type:
Code:
cd /hack
cpio -i -H tar -d -F mfs_ftp.tar
cd /tmp/
bzip2 -d mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar.bz2
tar -xvf mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.ppc/mfs_*port /hack/mfs_ftp
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.ppc/mfs_stream /hack/mfs_ftp
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.ppc/mfs_tarstream /hack/mfs_ftp
rm /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_stdinsert
ln -s /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_import /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_stdinsert

mfs_ftp along with the mfs-utils improvements are now installed. To start mfs_ftp, type:
Code:
/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl
If you'd like mfs_ftp to start whenever your TiVo starts, you need to add the above command to the '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author' file. This can be done by typing:
Code:
rw
echo "/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
ro

mfs_ftp uploading and downloading as well as some the other TiVo hacks can take up quite a bit of the TiVo's processing power, when this happens TiVo remote responses and menu navigation become quite slow. To fix this you can set the TiVo to give processing preference according to when the relevant app is loaded. Since the TiVo software is loaded before any hacks are, it will thus be given preference and should not suffer to much from all the additional hacks you may have installed. To configure the hacks to have a lower processing preference, add the following line to the top of the '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author' file:
Code:
/hack/mfs_ftp/setpri fifo 1 $$

Last edited by TivoZA on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
deirjohn

Please help. Both links take me to a log-in screen at dealdatabase. I Registered and logged in but it did the same. Searched for the files in dealdatabase forum, found them, but when attempting a download it just takes me to the log-in screen again. Any other sources?
TivoZA
Site Admin

deirjohn wrote:
Please help. Both links take me to a log-in screen at dealdatabase. I Registered and logged in but it did the same. Searched for the files in dealdatabase forum, found them, but when attempting a download it just takes me to the log-in screen again. Any other sources?
Dealdatabase is the only place where mfs_ftp can be downloaded, Riley has stated that he does not want the files distributed anywhere other then in his posts. I've updated the first paragraph in my above post, it now provides links to the actual posts while the second paragraph still provides links to the attachments.

To download files from Dealdatabase, you will need to register and activate your membership by following the instructions in the e-mail you will receive.

If you find that you keep getting logging out, firstly try clicking the "Remember Me?" checkbox when logging in. To remain logged in, you may also need Cookies enabled, you can set your Cookie settings in Internet Explorer as follows: "Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced". If that still doesn't work then something else worth trying is to set your browser to make use of a proxy server (e.g. dsl-cache.saix.net:8080), doing this allows your IP address to stay fixed as when browsing via ADSL many ISP's use a transparent proxy and the actual IP address used may change between each page request. Many sites will automatically log you out if your IP address changes as they think your session may have been hijacked but using a fixed proxy server should fix this.
korri

I have been using TyTool 10 rel 4 for downloading video from my TiVo. I have had a few occasions where I would like to upload video to my TiVo from my computer. I seen the nanVue program and thought that nanVue would work for me. I was attempting to follow your installation instructions for the mfs-utils installation, however I received an error "bash: bzip2: command not found". It looks like I need to install bzip2. Which version should I install? Which directory should I install bzip2 to?

NOTE: I have a series 2 TiVo

thanks

Philips Series 2 DSR704 (250GB)
mfs_ftp installation on a series 2
TivoZA
Site Admin

korri wrote:
Which directory should I install bzip2 to?
You can actually get by without needing to use bzip2. Instead you can use tar with the -xjvf parameter.

korri wrote:
I have a series 2 TiVo
Since you're using a series 2, you'll need to make use of the mips version of mfs_ftp. The instructions for installing mfs_ftp on a series 2 are as follows:

Download 'mfs_ftp.tar.zip' and 'mfs-utils_bin.mips-20050604.tar.bz2'. Uploaded both files via FTP to the Series2 '/tmp' directory.

At bash prompt, type:
Code:
cd /tmp
tar -C /var/hack -xzvf mfs_ftp.tar.zip
tar -xjvf mfs-utils_bin.mips-20050604.tar.bz2
cd /var/hack/mfs_ftp
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.mips/mfs_*port ./
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.mips/mfs_stream ./
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.mips/mfs_tarstream ./
rm mfs_stdinsert
ln -sf mfs_import mfs_stdinsert
chmod 755 mfs_*

Download 'tzoffset.tcl' and upload it to the TiVo's '/var/hack/mfs_ftp' directory, then from bash:
Code:
chmod 755 tzoffset.tcl
touch /var/hack/mfs_ftp/tzoffset.txt

Backup 'mfs_ftp.tcl' and then edit it (e.g. using joe):
Code:
cd /var/mfs_ftp
cp mfs_ftp.tcl mfs_ftp.tcl.orig
joe mfs_ftp.tcl
When editing 'mfs_ftp.tcl', comment out (put a # at the beginning of the line) all lines beginning with "event send $TmkEvent" (the line numbers are: 786, 985, 1303, 1309, 1325, 1329, and 1354).

To have mfs_ftp automatically start when your TiVo boots, edit '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author' and add the following lines to the bottom of the file:
Code:
export IGNOREEOF=1000
/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl
Deadman

I have the dsr704 Zippered and I'm trying to install this but I'm stuck where I have to run the mips part. I have the two files in the tmp directory. How can I get pass this?

Living Room-TiVo# tar -jxvf mfs-utils_bin.mips-20050604.tar.bz2
tar: bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
TivoZA
Site Admin

Deadman wrote:
I have the dsr704 Zippered and I'm trying to install this but I'm stuck where I have to run the mips part. I have the two files in the tmp directory. How can I get pass this?

Living Room-TiVo# tar -jxvf mfs-utils_bin.mips-20050604.tar.bz2
tar: bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Try extracting the bzip2 file on your computer (e.g. using WinRAR). Once done, copy the extracted tar file to your TiVo and continue as before.
Deadman

That did the trick, thank you.

I installed nanvue and found out my ty files are scrambled also it won't let me upload an avi. When I click on import & upload it does nothing. The drag and drop doesnt work either. What would I have to do to get my ty files unscrambled but most importantly how can I upload my avi's to it. I can live without downloading them but I would really like to put my avi's to tivo.
TivoZA
Site Admin

Deadman wrote:
I installed nanvue and found out my ty files are scrambled also it won't let me upload an avi.
If I recall correctly, having a "Zippered" TiVo should include having unscrambled recordings. Note that only shows recorded after having "Zippered" your TiVo will be unscrambled. If your new recordings are still scrambled you can find info on how to patch TivoApp here.

Deadman wrote:
When I click on import & upload it does nothing. The drag and drop doesnt work either. What would I have to do to get my ty files unscrambled but most importantly how can I upload my avi's to it.
The problems are most likely security related, it's best to run nanVue with Administrator privileges. The "drag and drop" feature doesn't work when running nanVue as a windows service.
Deadman

Yea I don't understand why it's scrambled unless dtv sent me something to mess with it, or maybe I zippered it wrong. I give that link you shot me a try and see how it goes.

I couldn't get nanvue to work with my older laptop running XP. Thought to install nanvue on my newer windows 7 laptop, ran it as admin and it works beautifully. It encoded and uploaded a Chuck episode and I was able to watch it. I didn't know you could do this stuff to tivo's. I put mine away for over 3 years when dtv sent me some other boxes that had way more hours. When one of their boxes died a month ago I brought this out f the closet and read up about it to find all this out. To think I could have had 500 hours and put my movies on it then makes me want to kick myself lol

I really want to Thank You for saving me tons of hours of trying to learn how that ffmpeg works. Just reading on DDB and TivoCom was looking like I wasn't going to get the noob help I needed to get this going.
trouble with telnet
pete1606

mfs_ftp can be used to upload & download TiVo recordings using a standard FTP client or by making use of nanVue. Below are the instructions on how to install Riley's mfs_ftp as well as Jamie's binaries which help speed up the transfers.

Hello I am currently trying to complete the following hack. I downloaded the files and ftp-ed them to the appropriate directories. I run into trouble when I enter a telnet session. I use putty for that. When i enter the code i get a message saying no such file or directory. I am fairly new to hacking my tivo. I have a little experience in linux. I used instatntcake to hack my tivo and I addedtelent and i have tivoweb plus.

Firstly download Riley's mfs_ftp and then Jamie's mfs-utils. Once downloaded, unzip 'mfs_ftp.tar.zip', ftp 'mfs_ftp.tar' to your TiVo's '/hack' directory and ftp 'mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar.bz2' to your TiVo's '/tmp' directory.

You now need to start a telnet session to your TiVo. From the telnet prompt, type:
Code:
cd /hack
cpio -i -H tar -d -F mfs_ftp.tar
cd /tmp/
bzip2 -d mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar.bz2
tar -xvf mfs-utils_bin.ppc-20050604.tar
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.ppc/mfs_*port /hack/mfs_ftp
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.ppc/mfs_stream /hack/mfs_ftp
cp /tmp/mfs-utils/bin.ppc/mfs_tarstream /hack/mfs_ftp
rm /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_stdinsert
ln -s /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_import /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_stdinsert
mfs_ftp installation